The Bachelor of Creative Media in Graphic Design at Murdoch University is an industry-focused program that integrates innovative design strategy with practical skills for a range of print and digital media contexts.
Taught by staff with extensive industry experience, the course provides a strong work-related learning experience that prepares students for a range of print (branding and publication design), digital product design (UX web, mobile app,) and strategic design (user experience and service design) sectors.
In the first-year students will engage core hands-on skills in visual problem solving and authentic graphic design production techniques through a range of industry-relevant projects. Second-year focuses on professional projects that extend graphic design skills in the context of commercial standards and expectations. In the final year, students will engage a range of client-driven work in order to develop a portfolio encompassing both print, digital and communication design environments, for a dynamic and rapidly changing global industry.
The practical components of the Graphic Design course are designed so that you can get a job-
Print Design :
- Focuses on core traditional graphic design skills
- Brand and Identity Design- design process, research strategies, critical thinking, brand strategies, service design, touchpoint collateral, dynamic identity design
- Publication Design- prepress, grids, typography, layout, information design, the material process of printing
UX, Digital web and app design:
- Core design skills- composition, colour, web typography, etc
- Design Research- personas, competitors analysis, UX and GCD usability testing, information architecture, content strategies.
- All projects are coded by hand, not be software. For example, students build a custom and responsive WordPress theme- from scratch for a real-world client.
- Interaction design- goal-directed design and user-centred design, mobile app construction, user research, interface design, concept boards, mobile app prototypes.
- Service Design- framing, user insights, personas, scope, ideation, service concepts, prototype testing, feasibility testing.
- Communication Strategy- content strategies, managing information, SEO ( search engine optimisation, applied communication, ethnographic research as design research and evidence based design.)
What makes Murdoch’s Graphic Design course unique?
- Focus is on the convergence of digital and print design. The print industry is in decline so you will have to do both print and digital design.
- Concentrate on more than just traditional graphic design that focuses on short term outcomes for clients. Instead, you will be taught to engage a client in a holistic way, through strategies such as;
*UX and Interaction design
*Branding and strategic communication
- Double majors mean you get twice the skills for the same cost and time as a single major from any other university- you could undertake-
*Graphic Design and Photography
*Graphic Design and Web Communication
*Graphic Design and Games Art and Design.
- You will master digital skills as central to your skillset- digital design skills should be central in a world in which print design is in decline
- You will also master print design and production skills in the real world
- You will be taught by lecturers with extensive industry experience- (see below)
- If you work hard and produce good work you will get a job, like lots of previous graduates
Dr Mark Cypher-Senior Lecturer- Artist, Freelance Designer /Consultant (BoxCudos.com)
Erica Ormsby- Art Director, Graphic Designer – (Mako Media)
See the Graphic Design Course Structure